Monday, October 08, 2007

My Rebuttal Answers

(YOGA CLASS WILL BE HELD THIS THURSDAY)

Dear Constituents:

In light of the complexity of this section of the Debates, I will keep my answers short and simple.

Let me quickly repeat my basic platform.

I believe after the rebuttal sessions are over, Skeezix, The Moderator (impartial) will open the floor to questions from the constituents. At that point I will answer any and all questions.

First, I am the only "fusion" candidate, and I do not mean nuclear fusion. I am a true blending of some very liberal positions, and some traditional classical liberalist positions. Please let me explain the confusion in the semantics.

On social issues, I tend to be very liberal. Keep government out of my personal life:

1. I favor pro choice.
2. I favor marriage between two loving, committed individuals
3. I favor ending the war on terrorism, and bringing home the troops. I tend more towards diplomacy, rather than war, although, I will use the our power and troops if truly necessary.

On constitutional issues I tend towards a classical liberalist position:

1. I believe in protecting personal property rights
2. I believe in natural rights
3. I support civil liberties
4. I support constitutional limits on government
5. I believe in individual freedom

These seemingly conflicting positions are in fact complementary. I will post more later.

Now on to answering the rebuttal questions:

Chey asked me:

“Does she think that food is really safe for humans--
given the problems with food labeling, large corporations that don't
want us to know about our foods and GMO problems?”

Dear Chey,
While I believe there is always room for improvement, I would say that our overall food supply is generally safe. Our food supply has been genetically modified for centuries, at least since the days of Gregor Mendel, who liked to play with his peas. Modern day technology simply accelerates the speed, and targets more accurately the changes desired. Do you think our produce looks like the produce of 500 years ago? I mean really, my pet human was complaining about how big the bananas are, because she can only eat half of one. Bananas used to be smaller. (Don’t tell Pixie that, however)

You ask about food labeling, large corporations, etc.

There are two main issues at play here.

1. Americans don’t eat “real” food. They eat processed food, and our obesity rates are skyrocketing. Worried about the BIG CORPORATION lying about the ingredients in Mac & Cheese? OK. Eat some real fruit and vegetables instead.

2. A larger problem than GM food, is a lack of biodiversity. Our Agri-business grows very few of the plant species available for human consumption.

“The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (the FAO) estimates that there are roughly a quarter million plant varieties available for agriculture, but less than 3 percent of these are in use today. With disuse comes neglect and possibly extinction.
• Modern agriculture is concentrated on a small number of varieties designed for intensive farming. This has dramatically reduced the diversity of plants available for research and development. This trend, and the increasing industrialization of agriculture, are key factors in what is known as “genetic erosion.”
• The world’s food supply depends on about 150 plant species. Of those 150, just 12 provide three-quarters of the world’s food. More than half of the world’s food energy comes from a limited number of varieties of three “mega-crops”: rice, wheat, and maize.

Whether GM food is safe or not is not the true issue here. The issue here is whether this trend will contribute to the lack of biodiversity and the extinction of hundred of thousands of plant species.



Chey asked:

“Do all of you really get that thing stuck in your booty?! My goodness.”

Yes, Chey, it has happened to me. And your question shows how out of touch you are with the majority of your constituency. This is a major problem for most four legged creatures who visit the vet. We need a change immediately!

Chey asked:

“What do you plan to do about cats who can't afford Deer
Repellant?”

Chey, this is a difficult question to answer. I would favor government supplied deer repellant, as long as there is more than one product on the market. My apologies to Mao and Rocky, but if the federal government used only one supplier, that would create a monopoly, and I am against government sponsored monopolies.

If we need any proof that government sponsored monopolies are bad business, all we need to do is look at Halliburton and Blackwater.

Cato asked:

“In light of the vicious deer menace question that was discussed last week, I would like to ask Skittles what his stance is on gun control?”

Cato, I am for supporting the right to own a weapon, at the same time I am for rigorous gun control. We must balance our needs for a safe society with the Constitutional right to bear arms.
I support thorough background checks on applicants for gun registration. Any faux pas in your past gets you disqualified. And if you misuse a gun once, it gets taken away.

Of course that means Dick Cheney should have his gun taken away.

The issues of gun control, gangs and criminals is another issue which deserves a separate question.

Doc asked:

1. What is your opinion of mandatory spay & neuter city ordinances?

I have a very emotional response to this. As you may know from reading my bio, I was abandoned on a naval base. When my Auntie April found me in the warehouse, she took me home. She took me to the vet to have me spayed, and then she found out my shameful secret. I was pregnant! (that ******** tom cat!!!!!!!!!!) I had to have an abortion. It’s bad enough to be raped, but then to have to think that I may have been a mom!

So, I think I may favor some sort of mandatory spay and neuter legislation. At the same time, I personally haven’t seen any written that make sense.

2. If you wear a collar, would you be willing to wear an American flag charm?

I am thoroughly American. Unfortunately though, I do not wear a collar, as I prefer to go au naturel. I admire Skeezix and Daisy and their very fashionable attire, but my stunning Tabby stripes would clash with any jewelry.

3. I would also like to ask each of my opponents what their personal catnip preferences and habits are.

I tried catnip once, but I didn’t inhale. Ha! I do have a sense of humor.

Seriously, I do like catnip, and it should remain legal. However, I don’t do very much of the weed, since I have so many other things to play with.

Let me take this time to give you my viewpoint on pet human weed. Currently it is illegal. Many pet humans would like to change this. This would be an excellent bargaining chip to use with the pet humans, and we should take advantage of this.


Thank you to Skeexiz, The Moderator (impartial) for hosting this historic event. I am honored to be in the presence of my esteemed opponents, Chey, Cato, and Doc Holliday. This should be on Youtube. I heard that Anderson Cooper is jealous.

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress

No comments:

Monday, October 08, 2007

My Rebuttal Answers

(YOGA CLASS WILL BE HELD THIS THURSDAY)

Dear Constituents:

In light of the complexity of this section of the Debates, I will keep my answers short and simple.

Let me quickly repeat my basic platform.

I believe after the rebuttal sessions are over, Skeezix, The Moderator (impartial) will open the floor to questions from the constituents. At that point I will answer any and all questions.

First, I am the only "fusion" candidate, and I do not mean nuclear fusion. I am a true blending of some very liberal positions, and some traditional classical liberalist positions. Please let me explain the confusion in the semantics.

On social issues, I tend to be very liberal. Keep government out of my personal life:

1. I favor pro choice.
2. I favor marriage between two loving, committed individuals
3. I favor ending the war on terrorism, and bringing home the troops. I tend more towards diplomacy, rather than war, although, I will use the our power and troops if truly necessary.

On constitutional issues I tend towards a classical liberalist position:

1. I believe in protecting personal property rights
2. I believe in natural rights
3. I support civil liberties
4. I support constitutional limits on government
5. I believe in individual freedom

These seemingly conflicting positions are in fact complementary. I will post more later.

Now on to answering the rebuttal questions:

Chey asked me:

“Does she think that food is really safe for humans--
given the problems with food labeling, large corporations that don't
want us to know about our foods and GMO problems?”

Dear Chey,
While I believe there is always room for improvement, I would say that our overall food supply is generally safe. Our food supply has been genetically modified for centuries, at least since the days of Gregor Mendel, who liked to play with his peas. Modern day technology simply accelerates the speed, and targets more accurately the changes desired. Do you think our produce looks like the produce of 500 years ago? I mean really, my pet human was complaining about how big the bananas are, because she can only eat half of one. Bananas used to be smaller. (Don’t tell Pixie that, however)

You ask about food labeling, large corporations, etc.

There are two main issues at play here.

1. Americans don’t eat “real” food. They eat processed food, and our obesity rates are skyrocketing. Worried about the BIG CORPORATION lying about the ingredients in Mac & Cheese? OK. Eat some real fruit and vegetables instead.

2. A larger problem than GM food, is a lack of biodiversity. Our Agri-business grows very few of the plant species available for human consumption.

“The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (the FAO) estimates that there are roughly a quarter million plant varieties available for agriculture, but less than 3 percent of these are in use today. With disuse comes neglect and possibly extinction.
• Modern agriculture is concentrated on a small number of varieties designed for intensive farming. This has dramatically reduced the diversity of plants available for research and development. This trend, and the increasing industrialization of agriculture, are key factors in what is known as “genetic erosion.”
• The world’s food supply depends on about 150 plant species. Of those 150, just 12 provide three-quarters of the world’s food. More than half of the world’s food energy comes from a limited number of varieties of three “mega-crops”: rice, wheat, and maize.

Whether GM food is safe or not is not the true issue here. The issue here is whether this trend will contribute to the lack of biodiversity and the extinction of hundred of thousands of plant species.



Chey asked:

“Do all of you really get that thing stuck in your booty?! My goodness.”

Yes, Chey, it has happened to me. And your question shows how out of touch you are with the majority of your constituency. This is a major problem for most four legged creatures who visit the vet. We need a change immediately!

Chey asked:

“What do you plan to do about cats who can't afford Deer
Repellant?”

Chey, this is a difficult question to answer. I would favor government supplied deer repellant, as long as there is more than one product on the market. My apologies to Mao and Rocky, but if the federal government used only one supplier, that would create a monopoly, and I am against government sponsored monopolies.

If we need any proof that government sponsored monopolies are bad business, all we need to do is look at Halliburton and Blackwater.

Cato asked:

“In light of the vicious deer menace question that was discussed last week, I would like to ask Skittles what his stance is on gun control?”

Cato, I am for supporting the right to own a weapon, at the same time I am for rigorous gun control. We must balance our needs for a safe society with the Constitutional right to bear arms.
I support thorough background checks on applicants for gun registration. Any faux pas in your past gets you disqualified. And if you misuse a gun once, it gets taken away.

Of course that means Dick Cheney should have his gun taken away.

The issues of gun control, gangs and criminals is another issue which deserves a separate question.

Doc asked:

1. What is your opinion of mandatory spay & neuter city ordinances?

I have a very emotional response to this. As you may know from reading my bio, I was abandoned on a naval base. When my Auntie April found me in the warehouse, she took me home. She took me to the vet to have me spayed, and then she found out my shameful secret. I was pregnant! (that ******** tom cat!!!!!!!!!!) I had to have an abortion. It’s bad enough to be raped, but then to have to think that I may have been a mom!

So, I think I may favor some sort of mandatory spay and neuter legislation. At the same time, I personally haven’t seen any written that make sense.

2. If you wear a collar, would you be willing to wear an American flag charm?

I am thoroughly American. Unfortunately though, I do not wear a collar, as I prefer to go au naturel. I admire Skeezix and Daisy and their very fashionable attire, but my stunning Tabby stripes would clash with any jewelry.

3. I would also like to ask each of my opponents what their personal catnip preferences and habits are.

I tried catnip once, but I didn’t inhale. Ha! I do have a sense of humor.

Seriously, I do like catnip, and it should remain legal. However, I don’t do very much of the weed, since I have so many other things to play with.

Let me take this time to give you my viewpoint on pet human weed. Currently it is illegal. Many pet humans would like to change this. This would be an excellent bargaining chip to use with the pet humans, and we should take advantage of this.


Thank you to Skeexiz, The Moderator (impartial) for hosting this historic event. I am honored to be in the presence of my esteemed opponents, Chey, Cato, and Doc Holliday. This should be on Youtube. I heard that Anderson Cooper is jealous.

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress

No comments: