Friday, February 29, 2008

Saturday Caturday


Good Morning!

Yesterday I reflected on something I witnessed while walking on Shelter Island, which is a very lovely area of San Diego Bay. Shelter Island is a harbor in San Diego, and the most exclusive yacht clubs are located there. It's also the entrance to an area of San Diego called the La Playa neighborhood. This neighborhood has the most expensive real estate in the county, and many of San Diego's oldest and wealthiest families live there. (Interestingly, the aunt and uncle of one of the Cat Blogosphere's most famous participants lives in La Playa! But I don't think I should say who, unless I have permission.)


Many San Diegans visit Shelter Island, whether they have money or not. It's just a lovely place, away from tourist attractions, for locals to rest, relax, rejuvenate, and enjoy our beautiful city.

Yesterday's post was about a bag lady picking through garbage on Shelter Island, and feeding thrown out food to the ducks and seagulls.








Zippy, Speedy and Sadie wrote a comment to that particular post that touched my heart. They said:

"Compassion is a gift not everyone is given...When mom and dad first got the bean gerls dey was furry poor. Often they would come home from work and someone would have left a package fur dem. Sometimes clothes for da gerls, sometimes shoes, sometimes a nice roasting chicken or a bag of potatoes...mom never knew who it was but had her suspicions. She has always paid dat forward, and tawt da gerls to do da same. If it wasn't for da kindness of dat nice old couple sometimes dey would have gone hungry, she's never forgotten that."


I don't talk much about my pet human's life. But she almost cried when she read the comment. Up until a few years ago, she had a good job and was doing well financially. She was also married. She became very ill, lost her job, and then lost her husband, who was more interested in her paycheck than her.

There were some lean times. But even when she was eating only ramen noodles, I was always well fed.


Throughout all of this, she has continued to participate in a church group that feeds the homeless in this neighborhood, because despite the wealth, there are homeless and hungry people.

One time, at the soup kitchen, one of the homeless guys approached her and a coworker and thanked them. He said:

"I want to thank you not for the food, but to tell you that this is very hard for me to be here. But I have had to learn that not all Christians are givers, some are receivers. I have had a difficult time learning how to receive graciously. I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn how to be a better Christian by learning how to receive."

I and my pet human are very blessed by friends who have stood by without question and helped out. We are able to live in a safe neighborhood, surrounded by friends who call us family. And she is able to hold a full time job now. Yeah! Today I count all my blessings as infinite!

Thank you Zippy, Sadie and Speedy for your comment!

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress
Formerly Feral

p.s. enough mushy stuff.........I have a garden party to plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Parker said...

Skittles, this is a lovely post. You are a smart kitty.

Daisy said...

That made my eyes leak a little bit!

Irishcoda said...

Wow...I was all about just commenting on the pictures of the sailboat, etc and saying how much I miss the beach but then I really read the post. I think when we show compassion, it's because we've "been there" and are now trying to do something to give back to the community...at least, that's what I'm trying to do :)

divakitty said...

Amen to all that! Purrs and nose bumps to your mum.

nmocean said...

In a day where we all seem to have so much there are still so many that have so little - compassion is a rare gift whether for cats or humans.

Diamond Emerald-Eyes said...

I should point out that not all Christians are givers - or even compationate - in any case. They have no problem what so ever letting those who are worse of then they are starve in the streets and go homeless, as long as it doesn't effect them or their pocketbook. But in their mind, they are good Christians because they go to church on Sunday.

Oh well...don't get me started.

Skittles, The Huntress said...

Dearest Diamond Emerald Eyes,

Your observations are so true and correct.

The church my pet human has attended for over 10 years is heading in that direction.....money, money, money. No compassion, led by a new minister who is new to this area and awed by the wealth.

It's a wonder the group that does the soup kitchen gets any support.

Thank you for your comments.

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress

Friday, February 29, 2008

Saturday Caturday


Good Morning!

Yesterday I reflected on something I witnessed while walking on Shelter Island, which is a very lovely area of San Diego Bay. Shelter Island is a harbor in San Diego, and the most exclusive yacht clubs are located there. It's also the entrance to an area of San Diego called the La Playa neighborhood. This neighborhood has the most expensive real estate in the county, and many of San Diego's oldest and wealthiest families live there. (Interestingly, the aunt and uncle of one of the Cat Blogosphere's most famous participants lives in La Playa! But I don't think I should say who, unless I have permission.)


Many San Diegans visit Shelter Island, whether they have money or not. It's just a lovely place, away from tourist attractions, for locals to rest, relax, rejuvenate, and enjoy our beautiful city.

Yesterday's post was about a bag lady picking through garbage on Shelter Island, and feeding thrown out food to the ducks and seagulls.








Zippy, Speedy and Sadie wrote a comment to that particular post that touched my heart. They said:

"Compassion is a gift not everyone is given...When mom and dad first got the bean gerls dey was furry poor. Often they would come home from work and someone would have left a package fur dem. Sometimes clothes for da gerls, sometimes shoes, sometimes a nice roasting chicken or a bag of potatoes...mom never knew who it was but had her suspicions. She has always paid dat forward, and tawt da gerls to do da same. If it wasn't for da kindness of dat nice old couple sometimes dey would have gone hungry, she's never forgotten that."


I don't talk much about my pet human's life. But she almost cried when she read the comment. Up until a few years ago, she had a good job and was doing well financially. She was also married. She became very ill, lost her job, and then lost her husband, who was more interested in her paycheck than her.

There were some lean times. But even when she was eating only ramen noodles, I was always well fed.


Throughout all of this, she has continued to participate in a church group that feeds the homeless in this neighborhood, because despite the wealth, there are homeless and hungry people.

One time, at the soup kitchen, one of the homeless guys approached her and a coworker and thanked them. He said:

"I want to thank you not for the food, but to tell you that this is very hard for me to be here. But I have had to learn that not all Christians are givers, some are receivers. I have had a difficult time learning how to receive graciously. I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn how to be a better Christian by learning how to receive."

I and my pet human are very blessed by friends who have stood by without question and helped out. We are able to live in a safe neighborhood, surrounded by friends who call us family. And she is able to hold a full time job now. Yeah! Today I count all my blessings as infinite!

Thank you Zippy, Sadie and Speedy for your comment!

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress
Formerly Feral

p.s. enough mushy stuff.........I have a garden party to plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Parker said...

Skittles, this is a lovely post. You are a smart kitty.

Daisy said...

That made my eyes leak a little bit!

Irishcoda said...

Wow...I was all about just commenting on the pictures of the sailboat, etc and saying how much I miss the beach but then I really read the post. I think when we show compassion, it's because we've "been there" and are now trying to do something to give back to the community...at least, that's what I'm trying to do :)

divakitty said...

Amen to all that! Purrs and nose bumps to your mum.

nmocean said...

In a day where we all seem to have so much there are still so many that have so little - compassion is a rare gift whether for cats or humans.

Diamond Emerald-Eyes said...

I should point out that not all Christians are givers - or even compationate - in any case. They have no problem what so ever letting those who are worse of then they are starve in the streets and go homeless, as long as it doesn't effect them or their pocketbook. But in their mind, they are good Christians because they go to church on Sunday.

Oh well...don't get me started.

Skittles, The Huntress said...

Dearest Diamond Emerald Eyes,

Your observations are so true and correct.

The church my pet human has attended for over 10 years is heading in that direction.....money, money, money. No compassion, led by a new minister who is new to this area and awed by the wealth.

It's a wonder the group that does the soup kitchen gets any support.

Thank you for your comments.

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress