Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Wordy Wednesday

My political statement for today. Some catizens believe the Patriot Act has eaten away at our individual civil rights, including privacy. Our government uses the Patriot Act to spy on our enemies, supposed or not.

I disagree.

The greatest threat to our privacy is not the government. It's Google.

Yes, Google. We can all thank Larry Paige and Sergey Brin.
At one time, I used to sign into Blogger with a unique username. Then one day I was required to have a gmail account. Or some such silly thing. So, hey why not? I got my own address: skittlesthehuntress@gmail.com. My pet human has her own gmail account with her name. Personally both I and my pet human freak out at the ads that pop up on the side columns when reading our emails. Gmail scans the content of our personal and private emails, and then targets marketing campaigns based on the content. BAD!

My pet likes to use the Picasa photo manager on her email.
So, today I clicked on the photos button while in gmail. Guess what I found? Picasa has been tracking every single photo ever posted on not only TWKK, but also my pet's other blogs, which are now inactive.

Every photo of me, every photo of yoga poses, every photo of my teddy dog,
Every photo of SlyCat,
Every photo from Morocco,
AND every photo of HAM FOR MILES, at yoga classes.

I am shocked. Picasa had a couple of thousand photos, many of them are from posts that are saved as drafts and have never been posted to the public forum.

Every bit of data the government could ever want on anyone, anywhere is being held in the Google servers. Heaven forbid that Google should ever fall into enemy hands.

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress

7 comments:

The Island Cats said...

Skittles...we didn't know that about Google! It's all a conspiracy!

Chairman Mao said...

Yup, that's not good. :( My Momma and Daddy agree that privacy and dignity are VERY important.

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao.

Tybalt said...

That is truly horrifying!

Chance said...

We didna noes bowt dat eider. Mommie an I jus twyed it an yur rite! Efurry pyctoor we eva posted iz on der an evan da wuns we asided not ta post arr on der too. Woner wat else dey saves on dem survurs at Google.

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

Wait...isn't Google alreddy in enemy hands?

Fin said...

Your secret ham photos out there in the google world.

The Meezers said...

oh that's not good. not good at all

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Wordy Wednesday

My political statement for today. Some catizens believe the Patriot Act has eaten away at our individual civil rights, including privacy. Our government uses the Patriot Act to spy on our enemies, supposed or not.

I disagree.

The greatest threat to our privacy is not the government. It's Google.

Yes, Google. We can all thank Larry Paige and Sergey Brin.
At one time, I used to sign into Blogger with a unique username. Then one day I was required to have a gmail account. Or some such silly thing. So, hey why not? I got my own address: skittlesthehuntress@gmail.com. My pet human has her own gmail account with her name. Personally both I and my pet human freak out at the ads that pop up on the side columns when reading our emails. Gmail scans the content of our personal and private emails, and then targets marketing campaigns based on the content. BAD!

My pet likes to use the Picasa photo manager on her email.
So, today I clicked on the photos button while in gmail. Guess what I found? Picasa has been tracking every single photo ever posted on not only TWKK, but also my pet's other blogs, which are now inactive.

Every photo of me, every photo of yoga poses, every photo of my teddy dog,
Every photo of SlyCat,
Every photo from Morocco,
AND every photo of HAM FOR MILES, at yoga classes.

I am shocked. Picasa had a couple of thousand photos, many of them are from posts that are saved as drafts and have never been posted to the public forum.

Every bit of data the government could ever want on anyone, anywhere is being held in the Google servers. Heaven forbid that Google should ever fall into enemy hands.

Luv,
Skittles, The Huntress

7 comments:

The Island Cats said...

Skittles...we didn't know that about Google! It's all a conspiracy!

Chairman Mao said...

Yup, that's not good. :( My Momma and Daddy agree that privacy and dignity are VERY important.

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao.

Tybalt said...

That is truly horrifying!

Chance said...

We didna noes bowt dat eider. Mommie an I jus twyed it an yur rite! Efurry pyctoor we eva posted iz on der an evan da wuns we asided not ta post arr on der too. Woner wat else dey saves on dem survurs at Google.

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

Wait...isn't Google alreddy in enemy hands?

Fin said...

Your secret ham photos out there in the google world.

The Meezers said...

oh that's not good. not good at all