Sunday, October 12, 2008

AC 360

My fellow Americats,

Today I was snoozing peacefully until around noon. Suddenly my phone started ringing off the hook. Once again, my pet human began fielding dozens of requests for interviews.

I have agreed to only one interview tonight with Anderson Cooper of CNN.


AC: Skittles, thank you for agreeing to this interview during such an historic time in history. Either a woman, an African-American, or a cat will be elected to the White House. A first in any case.

Skittles: yes, this is an exciting and at times contentious moment in history.

AC: Skittles, today around 11:30 a.m., Treasury Secretary, Henry Paulson warned the world not to fall into protectionism and isolationism. We have confirmed with our sources that Paulson got this idea from you, as you warned against protectionism the other night on The Whole Kitten Kaboodle.

This is what Paulson said:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson cautioned on Sunday that countries that turn to protectionist policies to try to escape damage from the global financial crisis may make it worse.

"Isolationism and protectionism will not offer a way out," Paulson said in a statement prepared for delivery to the World Bank's development committee.


AC: Is Paulson in fact following TWKK and taking your own ideas for his?

Skittles: Anderson, TWKK is coming close to reaching 40,000 total hits. Many of the IP addresses that hit my site are in fact from the DC area. It's highly likely that Paulson is stealing my ideas and using them as his own.

Regardless, I promised my liberal opponent, Cheysuli, a response to her comments about tariffs and protectionism. I'd like to take this opportunity now to do so.

Tariffs and protectionism are forms of restraint of trade (ROT). ROT can come in a wide variety of forms and extremes, including tariffs and embargoes. Let me take a most extreme example to make my point here.

In 1990, the United Nations Security Council imposed a near total financial and trade embargo on the country of Iraq (in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.) That embargo caused hardship, starvation, and a rise in diseases for the citizens of Iraq. The Food For Oil program arose because of this embargo. The embargo was finally lifted in 2003 after the demise of the Hussein government.

We used restraint of trade as a punishment. Why would we turn around and utilize a tool of punishment against our own country and citizens?

This is a complex issue, but this is the core of my belief in free trade. Putting extensive tariffs into place, only hurts economies. Personally I know of no economist that would argue that tariffs help an economy.

In addition, since I brought up the subject of the UN led embargo on Iraq and the devastating effect it had on Iraqi citizens, I want to say this as well:

Regardless of whether anyone believes we should not be in Iraq with a military presence, or never should have gone in, I believe America and the rest of the world has a moral obligation to help Iraq rebuild itself as a nation. While the rest of the UN members criticize America, they conveniently forget the role the UN led embargo played in the devastation of the Iraqi economy.

AC: Skittles, there are rumors that Paulson has joined as a member of The American Patriot Cat Party. Is this true?

Skittles: Anderson, no, not yet at least.

AC: Skittles, thank you for meeting with me here tonight.

Skittles: My pleasure. It was an honor and pleasure to meet you.



6 comments:

The Meezers said...

excellent interview Skittles. Mommy wants to know if AC was as handsome in person as he is on tv.

PB 'n J said...

Well done Skittles - that was a great interview!

Fred said...

Skittles, I am proud to know you. I think you may be in line for a cabinet position.

Mr. Echo said...

Yoo are vary wise Skittles. I will give this ishyoo more thot.

Sophia said...

He's too pretty to be straight.

Skittles, The Huntress said...

Dearest DKM,

Oh, I had to laugh at that comment. The original post had Skittles asking Anderson if he was in fact gay. And Anderson demurred.

But I thought it was a bit too un-pc. So I left it out.

Thanks for the chuckle.

WW
&
Skittles

Sunday, October 12, 2008

AC 360

My fellow Americats,

Today I was snoozing peacefully until around noon. Suddenly my phone started ringing off the hook. Once again, my pet human began fielding dozens of requests for interviews.

I have agreed to only one interview tonight with Anderson Cooper of CNN.


AC: Skittles, thank you for agreeing to this interview during such an historic time in history. Either a woman, an African-American, or a cat will be elected to the White House. A first in any case.

Skittles: yes, this is an exciting and at times contentious moment in history.

AC: Skittles, today around 11:30 a.m., Treasury Secretary, Henry Paulson warned the world not to fall into protectionism and isolationism. We have confirmed with our sources that Paulson got this idea from you, as you warned against protectionism the other night on The Whole Kitten Kaboodle.

This is what Paulson said:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson cautioned on Sunday that countries that turn to protectionist policies to try to escape damage from the global financial crisis may make it worse.

"Isolationism and protectionism will not offer a way out," Paulson said in a statement prepared for delivery to the World Bank's development committee.


AC: Is Paulson in fact following TWKK and taking your own ideas for his?

Skittles: Anderson, TWKK is coming close to reaching 40,000 total hits. Many of the IP addresses that hit my site are in fact from the DC area. It's highly likely that Paulson is stealing my ideas and using them as his own.

Regardless, I promised my liberal opponent, Cheysuli, a response to her comments about tariffs and protectionism. I'd like to take this opportunity now to do so.

Tariffs and protectionism are forms of restraint of trade (ROT). ROT can come in a wide variety of forms and extremes, including tariffs and embargoes. Let me take a most extreme example to make my point here.

In 1990, the United Nations Security Council imposed a near total financial and trade embargo on the country of Iraq (in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.) That embargo caused hardship, starvation, and a rise in diseases for the citizens of Iraq. The Food For Oil program arose because of this embargo. The embargo was finally lifted in 2003 after the demise of the Hussein government.

We used restraint of trade as a punishment. Why would we turn around and utilize a tool of punishment against our own country and citizens?

This is a complex issue, but this is the core of my belief in free trade. Putting extensive tariffs into place, only hurts economies. Personally I know of no economist that would argue that tariffs help an economy.

In addition, since I brought up the subject of the UN led embargo on Iraq and the devastating effect it had on Iraqi citizens, I want to say this as well:

Regardless of whether anyone believes we should not be in Iraq with a military presence, or never should have gone in, I believe America and the rest of the world has a moral obligation to help Iraq rebuild itself as a nation. While the rest of the UN members criticize America, they conveniently forget the role the UN led embargo played in the devastation of the Iraqi economy.

AC: Skittles, there are rumors that Paulson has joined as a member of The American Patriot Cat Party. Is this true?

Skittles: Anderson, no, not yet at least.

AC: Skittles, thank you for meeting with me here tonight.

Skittles: My pleasure. It was an honor and pleasure to meet you.



6 comments:

The Meezers said...

excellent interview Skittles. Mommy wants to know if AC was as handsome in person as he is on tv.

PB 'n J said...

Well done Skittles - that was a great interview!

Fred said...

Skittles, I am proud to know you. I think you may be in line for a cabinet position.

Mr. Echo said...

Yoo are vary wise Skittles. I will give this ishyoo more thot.

Sophia said...

He's too pretty to be straight.

Skittles, The Huntress said...

Dearest DKM,

Oh, I had to laugh at that comment. The original post had Skittles asking Anderson if he was in fact gay. And Anderson demurred.

But I thought it was a bit too un-pc. So I left it out.

Thanks for the chuckle.

WW
&
Skittles